Malaga’s Coastal Path – 180 km Of Beach Walk

Marbella Viewings - Malaga's Coastal Path

What exactly is the famous Coastal Path of Malaga?

This ambitious landscape project, involving as mentioned before 14 municipalities of the coastal communities, has been implemented by the Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock, Fisheries and Sustainable Development of the Andalusian Government including also the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Environment and the Maritime Environment.

This connection, which is already completed in many of its 167 sections, will connect the existing structures (promenades, lanes and trails) and will build new links, always in coordination with the other competent institutions.

How will it be put into practice?

The so-called “Senda Litoral” is being planned with all the institutions having agreed on the project and is currently being implemented.

Probably you didn’t know, that about 80% of Malaga’s coastline is already passable, through existing infrastructure. Therefore, pending actions belong to the remaining 20%. This is a long-haul project as evidenced by its five-year completion period and not without difficulty, as there are more complicated coastal sections than others for the unification of the road. Some of the problems consists in private properties built on the very edge of the sea (If you are looking for a beachfront property click here), where agreements need to be found between owners and the municipalities.

Also the geographical and geological characteristics of the territory can be a challenge: for example, it is not the same to connect Nerja with Torrox, since it is an area with numerous cliffs, than to extend the beach line between the municipalities of Mijas and Marbella, where there is geographical continuity. For this reason, the joint work of all public institutions is “fundamental”.

Why is it so important for the region?

The Senda Litoral will itself be an important tourist resource because it will really be possible to travel between Nerja and Manilva along the coast, and this opens up alternative promotion and business opportunities for our entrepreneurs, hotels, hospitality, sports or active tourism businesses .
This Coastal Path is a sister project of the “Gran Senda de Málaga” (GSM), the circular route through the entire province through roads and trails, which has already become a national benchmark for active tourism.

In addition, the Senda Litoral will contribute to conceiving the Costa del Sol as a single product that covers the entire coastline of the province, from east to west, as it is often spoken of as the Eastern and Western Costa del Sol, but this distinction It must be only geographic because the brand belongs to our entire province.

When will it be completed?

The path connecting Estepona to Malaga is planned to be finished by the end of 2020, the rest (Manilva – Nerja) in 2022. We are keeping ourselves updated on the progress of works, so don’t hesitate to ask us for information.

We hope, you enjoyed readling this article and if you want to know more on it, you can find more detailed information on the project on its dedicated website: http://www.sendalitoral.es/en/

More Info

If you are looking to buy or sell a property on the Costa del Sol, get in touch with us.

Compare listings

Compare